Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Digging for Pain

I am absolutely astonished to see that it has been over a year since my last blog!  Time is passing more quickly than ever.  Baby granddaughter is now 6 years old and starting school, her grandfather has retired and is into a new career of driving a touring coach.  Maggie dog stays home and I still work part time.  I also have developed arthritic knees and that is what made me want to blog this morning.

It is early morning, about 5:30 a.m., and just got hubby on his way to Memphis for an overnight trip with a lovely group of people going to Graceland.  I am sitting in a soft chair, it is quiet, and I was wondering whether to make a cup of coffee or go back to bed for an hour when it dawned on me that I was feeling no pain.  Anywhere.  As I thought about it, not daring to move for fear something would kick in and the moment would be gone, I started going over all the pain points I usually feel, wondering if it could be true that there was NO PAIN.  You know, neck, back, arms, wrists, ankles, feet, knees, hips, etc.  Finally, I realized there was a slight twinge in my neck, if I moved it just right.  Darn.  There went that moment.  I knew it wouldn't last very long.

Then I realized what I had done.

I missed an excellent moment to praise God for no pain.  Instead, I dug around until I found some pain to concentrate on.

While thinking about this, I began to correlate it to things in regular everyday life.  We go along, busy, concentrating on the things we have to do everyday of our lives.  We forget the things that God gives us, such as having a job, our families being basically healthy, having transportation, a place to live, food on the table.  Those types of things.  Instead, we dig around and find the "pain" in each situation to concentrate on.  That irritating person at work, that temporary but awful head cold going around, car needs a new battery, sink is stopped up, hamburger instead of steak, etc.

What a negative life I sometimes lead!  Where is my joy, my rejoicing?  Lord, help me to stop digging around and instead be joyful for the wonderful life you have given me!

The sun is rising, it is a little foggy this morning.  I think I will have a cup of coffee and just relax and enjoy the quiet before getting ready to leave for work.  Going to be a busy week!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Wonderful, Thought-provoking post.

Unknown said...

Amen! Wonderful, Thought-provoking post.