Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Missions Mural

I am a member of Rockport Baptist Church located in Arnold, Missouri or at http://www.rockportbaptist.org/ and we are very "mission minded". I am currently working on a wall mural of sorts, depicting the map of the world and some of the missionaries that our church supports. I have set a deadline for finishing before the second week of April when we will be having a Camp Meeting and Bible Conference. I always do better with deadlines because it means I have to finish, I usually work better under pressure but I don't really like to wait until the last minute to finish. This is a very simple project, it just takes a lot of time and a lot of that time is on a ladder which is not the easiest thing for me. I have a friend, Marie, who is helping me with the process.

Painting murals is one of my favorite things to do! If I were physically able to keep up with the work I would really consider doing it for a living but I cannot meet the demands of doing it everyday so I pick and choose my projects.
















The image above is part of the last project I worked on. You can see all the parts here:

http://66.143.150.42/debbie/MURALS/nvwgmurals.htm

It took a long time to complete the project but I was pleased with the results. I think the canvases are on a week long display during the the National Veterans Wheelchair Games, which occur annually in a different city.

The last mural I worked on before that was in my own kitchen. It was an open window with red shutters that looked out on a barn scene. A rooster was standing on the window sill. It has since been painted over and I don't have any pictures of it. I never was happy with the barn scene but the rooster was spectacular!

I have also worked on a project on the outside of a craft mall that depicted different shops lined up in a row to look like old time stores. There was a general store, a school, a barber, a flower shop, a candy store, etc. That was a big project that did not get finished because of a river flood that caused the owner to sell out. It was a favor to the owner so I didn't finish the project for a new owner. They painted over everything with BRIGHT ORANGE paint!

There have been a few other projects that were finished but I have never charged for any of them. They have usually been gifts. For instance, in a new baby's room I painted Sesame Street characters around a piano singing and playing instruments. It was a very nice job. Also did a whole room with Winnie the Pooh and friends.

I like to create using a lot of different media but I always come back to painting and sewing in some form.

No comments: