Monday, March 10, 2008

Fast Times

It always amazes me when I come back to a project, a blog post, my web site, the laundry, etc. how it seems I was just there but in reality it has been a while, like days or weeks or even months (well, not months for the laundry, of course or at least hopefully!)

I realized Saturday that my next jewelry show is just around the corner and I have barely touched a bead all winter. I have been knitting, painting a mural at church, playing with Olivia and doing all the other things that take up time everyday.

I am going to ramble a little bit about all those things over the next few posts, starting with knitting.

First of all, I enjoy all the needle arts and have probably dabbled in more than some people. I have the most experience with crochet and some with knitting. I have found that I like to knit socks and baby sweaters because they are small projects and can be finished quickly. From watching knitting programs on t.v. I have found that I am not a good example of how to knit properly - I am totally self taught and therefore don't hold my yarn correctly - but it works for me and that is important! Having an 8 month old grand daughter allows me to see the results of my labors with knitting sweaters, she is beginning to grow into the ones I made before she was created. Pretty soon she will catch up with my knitting.

Right now I am working on a pair of socks for myself. I am using wool sock yarn and size 0 needles, all of which are new for me. I have NEVER used wool yarn to make anything (if it needs handwashed it is usually a no-no for me!) and I am really enjoying it. I have used very small hooks and thread for crochet but I think size 0 is the smallest needle size I have used for knitting. It sure takes a lot longer with that size as compared to size 5! So far I have about 2/3 of one sock done. I can't work on knitting for very long periods of time because my neck and shoulder get stiff, a result of surgery on my neck a few years ago.

A local yarn shop has just recently opened in my area, inside a Christian book store. It is very small but has beautiful yarns. We have started a knitting/crochet group that will be meeting a few times a month to knit, crochet, and maybe have some classes. One more thing I want to fit into an already busy schedule but I think it will be a wonderful time. It means a lot to be able to meet with a group of like minded women who believe in God and serve Him in local churches. I look forward to making new friendships with many of them. As summer approaches, that may be the only time I can fit in my knitting!

For now the knitting will take a backseat to beading but I am making stitch markers from beads to sell this summer. They are pretty and functional. I think they will make a nice addition to my jewelry items.

This is the Bible memory I am working on right now:

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. James 1:2-3

No comments: